Members of Spire Barristers public law team have experience of advising and representing local authorities, governing bodies and family members in relation to education law matters.
Our public law team have a thorough understanding of the holistic needs of children and young people with special educational needs, and the interface with Children Act 1989 responsibilities.
Members are also aware of the practical and operational demands experienced by local authorities and schools.
Members have particular experience of appeals to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), including:
- Appeals against refusals to carry out an EHC needs assessment;
- Appeals against refusals to issue an EHC plan;
- Appeals in relation to the contents of an EHC plan (including placement appeals);
- Appeals against decisions to cease to maintain an EHC plan;
- Appeals brought under the SEND Tribunal Single Route of Redress National Trial;
- Education-related disability discrimination claims brought under the Equality Act 2010.
Members also welcome instructions in relation to education-related judicial review challenges.Please do not hesitate to contact one of our Public Law clerks